The UNEP/AEWA Secretariat is the Agreement’s coordinating body. Its functions are set out in Article VII of the Agreement. They include:
- The organization and servicing of sessions of the Meeting of the Parties (MOP) and meetings of the Technical Committee (TC) and the Standing Committee (StC);
- The implementation of tasks referred to it by the Meeting of the Parties;
- The promotion and supervision of research and conservation projects;
- The encouragement of exchange of information between the Parties; and
- The liaison with international governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Since its establishment in 2000, the UNEP/AEWA Secretariat has been co-located with the Secretariat of the Convention on Migratory Species at the United Nations Campus in Bonn, Germany. The premises are shared by a number of United Nations Agencies, such as the UN Volunteers (UNV), the Secretariat of the Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Secretariat of the Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD). The UNEP/AEWA Secretariat is provided and administered by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
The UNEP/AEWA Secretariat can be contacted at:
Platz der Vereinten Nationen 1
Tel.: +49 (0)228 815 2413
Fax: +49 (0)228 815 2450/2470